[Slapt-get-devel] Some infos...

Arnaldo de Moraes Pereira arnaldo at sp-dhn.com.br
Thu Nov 13 13:19:42 EST 2003

	IMHO, slapt-get is the first professional package management system for slackware.
	Of course it should get much more improved - like any young software.
	Patrick Volkerding doesn't like the idea of installing other packages (dependencies) when it should install just one (me neither). That's the reason he hasn't done anything like other package management systems available in other distributions.
	But slapt-get doesn't break slackware package system - like you said. This is why I think it'll be used by everyone who uses slackware.

	Personally, I don't think Patrick will like it. I haven't read any Patrick's 'review' of slapt-get, but I don't think he'll like it. He doesn't like anything. ;)

	Now that I've written the off-topic stuff (is this a devel mailing list or what ?)...
	What does Jason think about slapt-get stop if it couldn't fetch a package, in a --upgrade situation ?
	I haven't used slapt-get for a long time, but I'm really interested in helping the project the way I can.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:50:13 +0100
motaboy80 at supereva.it wrote:

> Hi.
> I think that your program is very good, I love slack and I've used gentoo and
> all other distros so I think that introducing the dipendencies in slackware
> it's not an hell but a very good thing.
> First the idea of introducing a slack-request file doesn't break all the
> slackware mechanism because someone can always use installpkg etc. without
> any problem.
> Second, other program can find the dependencies of libraries (using ldd) but
> you can't know if a program need another program and which version of this
> program it needs.
>
> I'm courious to know what exactly Wolkerding thinks about this idea, He's full
> contrary or there's a chance that slack-request is introduced in all the
> distros packet?
>
> Another thing is for packages that are in conflict, I think you can add a "!"
> before the package name (and version) in slack-request. It's a rare case but
> it can always happen...
>
> Bye

Arnaldo de Moraes Pereira <arnaldo at sp-dhn.com.br>
DHN