[Slapt-get-devel] suggestions and ideas

Stefano Stabellini stefano at stabellini.net
Thu Dec 8 15:10:11 EST 2005

I think I have a good idea for slapt-get future development.
I would like to add a feature to compile and install packages from
source, but not something like swaret --compile, or checkinstall.

I would like to be able to use a repository like these:

http://www.stabellini.net/ocsid/ocsid-10.2/source-slackware/

a repository with a different dir for different packages, each "source
directory" should contain these files:

SlackBuild or packagename.Slackbuild
slack-desc
slack-required (with the dependencies)

real sources or a text file called sources with one or more links to
download the actual sources of the program.

The source directory could also contain other files used to build the
package, like patches, etc.

>From a directory tree like this (the official slackware source tree), we
could build a source repository with a little script, to create two
files that describe the repos:

PACKAGES.TXT
FILELIST.TXT

look at these as an example:

http://www.stabellini.net/ocsid/ocsid-10.2/source-slackware/PACKAGES.TXT
http://www.stabellini.net/ocsid/ocsid-10.2/source-slackware/FILELIST.TXT

the field "PACKAGE LOCATION" is the relative path for the source directory

the field "PACKAGE SOURCE" is the link to the program's sources, there
could be more then one when mirrors are available, or none at all, if
the source directory also contains the sources as in the Slackware
Official source tree.
This field is read from the file "sources".

When a user executes "slapt-get --update" with one or more source
repositories, slapt-get only downloads these two files and not the
complete source tree.
Then when a user executes "slapt-get --build program", slapt-get
downloads all the content of its source directory (whose name is written
in the field PACKAGE LOCATION in the PACKAGES.TXT file); then if there
is a PACKAGE SOURCE field for that package slapt-get also downloads
program's sources in that directory.
Eventually slapt-get executes the SlackBuild, with the ARCH variable
read from slapt-getrc so that each user could build every package
optimized as he wants.
There could also be a feature like --get that makes slapt-get only
download the content of the source directory.

I know C programming pretty well so if I have time I could help you
implementing these features.

Best regards,

Stefano Stabellini

--
stefano[AT]stabellini.net - http://www.stabellini.net

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery