[Slapt-get-devel] Detecting Downgrades and Removals?

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Sun Jan 16 17:37:18 EST 2005

Hi,

> Heh, I hate to keep replying to my hasty emails but I just noticed the
> '--remove-obsolete' option, when did that sneak in? =).

That was added in 0.9.9f.

> but the downgrade question still remains.

The Slackware Changelog and UPGRADE.TXT are still required reading for all users taking the
-current plunge or upgrading to newer Slackware releases.

> I noticed that when I ran
> 'slapt-get --dist-upgrade --remove-obsolete' I was prompted to remove all
> the packages ive added manually with 'checkinstall -S'.  My only choice is
> to either say yes to remove them all, remove none of them or to go into
> slapt-getrc and add an entry for each one I want to keep into the EXCLUDE
> list which can get tedious.   I think it would be nice to add an
> '--interactive' option

Adding an exclude for all your built packages doesn't scale, for sure.  When you build your own
packages, make sure they include a tag in the build portion that you can exclude just like how
the default dropline exclude works.  So if I make a valgrind package,
valgrind-2.2.0-4-i486-1jsw.tgz, I add .*[0-9]jsw$ to my exclude list and I can use
--remove-obsolete w/o loosing my custom packages.

take care,
jason