[Slapt-get-devel] NEW suggestions

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Sat Oct 1 20:35:26 EDT 2005

Hi Angelo,

> Thank you!
> I have a new request:
> to upgrade slackware security patches
> I would like to use slap-get
> with one of these commands:
>
> slapt-get --install-set patches
> or
> slapt-get --upgrade-set patches
>

> slapt-get, is not capable of doing this, instead slackpkg can do it! :^)
> (using the command "slackpkg upgrade patches")

That is what --upgrade is for.

> Now,I am trying the latest cvs version and I read the new configuration file,and I think that
it could be better to remove the following section:
> # slackware testing, extra, and pasture
> #SOURCE=ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.2/extra/
> #SOURCE=ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.2/testing/
> #SOURCE=ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.2/pasture/
>
> and, with the command "slapt-get --update" updating the packages list
> merging the lists from patches,extra,testing,pasture and from the dir slackware-10.2.
> Of course this process takes a longer time,but it is more clean.

Those packages are not part of the standard install and may duplicate versions that are part of
slackware proper.  They should be added in with consideration of what they are and what they
contain.

> I have found a bug in gslapt,when changing the config file using the gui,
> it deletes all the lines but the ones not commented!I have lost all the alternative servers list!

GSlapt introduces its own convention of not only commenting them out but tagging them for
consideration when choosing sources to install.  So rather than #SOURCE=, #DISABLED= is used.

> My idea is more in line (read conservative :^) )with slackware's philosophy:from
linuxpackages.net
> I download text-based and X11 applications,and so new libraries,and dependencies.
> To avoid troubles mixing official sources and
> unofficial ones (linuxpackages) you could put a comment in the config file
> saying this:
>
> EXCLUDE=^./slackware/a* , ^./slackware/l* ,^./slackware/n* ,^./slackware/d*
> excluding the upgrade and the remove of new base system packages,libraries,
> development tools,and networking packages,but letting the user to only add new ones.
>
> Note that this "exclude" does not let you upgrade official packages (security patches), but I
think you could solve this little problem.

Like I mentioned in a previous email, you can accomplish this using another config to which you
pass to slapt-get via --config.  The exclude line in the unofficial config would contain
'/slackware/[a-z]+'.

take care,
jason

--