[Slapt-get-devel] suggestions :^)

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Wed Sep 21 14:25:43 EDT 2005

Hi Angelo,

> Slapt-get and Gslapt are great,

Thanks, I am glad you find them useful.

> and I wish to help these projects with my opinions :^) .
> Let's start with an example!
> To install a slackware disk set (xap in this case) with Slapt-get
> we have to use this sintax:
>
> slapt-get --search '^\.\/slackware\/xap$'|awk '{print $1}'| \
> xargs -r slapt-get --install
>
> with slackpkg is simpler:
>
> slackpkg install xap

I'll look into this.

> Why don't you use the slackpkg parser?The re-use of the software makes
> software development faster and more convenient (to developers and users!).

slackpkg and slapt-get can't share code as slackpkg is written in shell and slapt-get is not.
But similar concepts can be implemented in either.

> I wish will be modified the parser for the file /etc/slapt-getrc too,
> because if it was easier to exclude packages or full disk sets,we could "blacklist" all the
official slackware packages
> and install,upgrade or remove unofficial packages without compromising our systems!
> (or at least, you could add an option like "EXCLUDE-OFFICIAL-PACKAGES=ALL") .
>
> I tried to exclude ("blacklist") the official packages in this way:
> EXCLUDE=^./slackware/* , ^./packages/*
> but the problem is that while surely I can exclude all slackware disk sets and those packages
from the "/testing/packages" directory
> I can't exclude packages from the extra directory.
>
> Why we should use "slapt-get --config" for an alternative slapt-rc file for managing
unoffical packages,
> when could be more effective just using only one slapt-rc file but with a few more options?
> Example:
> OFFICIAL-SOURCE= ftp.slackware.com
> EXCLUDE-OFFICIAL-PACKAGES= kernel , alsa ,lib
> UNOFFICIAL-SOURCE= ftp.linuxpackages,net
> EXCLUDE-UNOFFICIAL-PACKAGES= gnome

I'm relunctant to introduce any more configuration tokens and I like the fact that all sources
are equal in slapt-get, as in other systems.

> The last suggestion is about gslapt (the last version): the installed packages stop showing
their dependencies....why??
> I checked slapt-get versions available and all have dependencies informations, all but the
version installed.

This is because the /var/log/packages/ entry does not have the dependency information within
the file.  Any previous occurrance of this information for installed packages was a bug that
has been fixed.

thanks and take care,
jason

--