[Slapt-get-devel] Feature suggestion - Source descriptions

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Wed May 10 20:13:33 EDT 2006

Hi A.J.,

> So far so good - but what would be really good is if the sources screen had
> some way to show a "help" or "description" option for a source, that way
> users could quickly learn what the source actually is.
> The way I see it it would need a way to specify an html file/URL in the config
> file. This should be optional however so that backwards compatibility is
> maintained.

I think you have a great point, but I would be more interested in adding more (in/on)line help
within gslapt.  The various dialogs should have a help button that would open gnome-help or
some html content included within gslapt's share/ directory.  The dialogs that need this the
most would be

1) the preferences, including the sources tab like you mentioned
2) The sources have changed dialog
3) The failed package source dialog
4) The transaction summary dialog

And there are probably more places within the interface we can offer hints and tips.

I'm not sure about a SOURCE/file convention.  If the help documents are available, packagers
such as yourself, on behalf of openlab users, can customize these documents prior to compiling.

> If that is not feasable, even just a "browse source" button would be good, so
> the user can get a feeling of what to expect from the source before deciding
> if he wishes to enable it.

That might be possible as well.

> Although I am not a gnome developer I am very happy to help with implementing
> this if I can have some pointers about where to look.

Sure.  If you want to write documents, and mark up screenshots on places that you've found are
ambiguous or could use a help button, that would be a great first step.

take care,
jason

--
Jason Woodward