[Slapt-get-devel] Gslapt desktop shortcut (mainly)

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Wed May 24 02:58:33 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 13:00 +0200, Jakob Viketoft wrote:
> First, in the gslapt.desktop shortcut, wouldn't it be useful to have the
> "Exec" field use "gnomesu $PATH/gslapt" instead of "$PATH/gslapt" as it
> is now? For the KDE-menus, a similar kdesu (or what it's called) could
> be added. This way, it's easy to start gslapt and upgrade from within
> any user with root capabilities. For now, it's only useful for a
> graphically logged in root to have this shortcut..

The Portland project are working on a (trivial) set of scripts for
things like this, to make it work across desktop environments. So when
they do a release, you'd call xdg-su (or some such) and it'd call the
appropriate su wrapper for your desktop environment :)

That said, I personally don't like the idea of loading an entire X
toolkit as root, and would love to see a less-privileged solution, e.g.
by making the pkgtool executables configurable so one could download and
verify packages with their user account, and then slapt-get/gslapt would
call "sudo installpkg" or the like.