[Slapt-get-devel] slapt-src suggestions

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Sun Nov 14 20:27:06 EST 2010

Hi George,

> I have tried using slapt-src with multiple repositories that include
> different versions of the same package. What I found out is that
> slapt-src would always use the first of the repositories listed in
> slapt-srcrc. I think that's perfectly fine and it works in a
> consistent way, but it would be nice if it was documented somewhere.
> That is if you don't plan to include support for repo priorities ala
> slapt-get in the future of course.

I am not sure how the multiple source support will end up in terms of
conflict, dependency resolution.  It seems that some sort of designation
will be needed for each slackbuild source to differentiate them.

> That leads to a small problem though. Someone is only able to use
> slapt-src to install the version that is included in the 1st repo
> only. If someone wants to install the version that is in any of the
> following repositories, slapt-src won't work. Is it possible to make
> slapt-src version aware and be able to specify the package version, if
> you want a specific one? Similar to how slapt-get works with
> specifying full package names, specifying the package version like
> "slapt-src -i foo-0.1" would install version 0.1, even if an
> older/newer version is in any of the previews repositories.

I just pushed up a commit that lets you specify name:version as a string
which lets you specify the exact slackbuild you want to use.  ':' as a
delimiting character is necessary as the versions are not full
version-arch-buildnum and thus are not easily parse-able.

> Also, would it be possible to add a check if a package with the same
> name is already installed and throw a confirmation message? Sometimes
> you need to be reminded that you have it installed already and that
> maybe you needn't spend time downloading/building it again.

You mean asking if you should upgrade or reinstall foo if foo is already
installed?  The only problem is I won't know the full version string
(version-arch-buildnum again) until after the slackbuild is built and so I
am not able to tell if it is an upgrade/downgrade or reinstall.

I think any solution to the above would end up changing the summary text to
show reinstall/upgrade/downgrade.

> And one last thing: could it be possible to add a --simulate option,
> that would only show the "The following packages will be
> installed:..." message and quit?

You mean like:

yes 'n' | slapt-src --install foo

?