[Slapt-get-devel] slapt-get to send distro name (i.e. User-Agent)

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Wed Aug 14 19:49:41 EDT 2013

> I have a proposal which most likely be rejected by everyone.
>
> I was wondering whether it would be worthy to add some sort of
> User-Agent into GSlapt in order to let to repository administrators to
> recognize the distros which are using their repositories, and by that
> to gather statistics which might bring Slackware derivative developers
> and distributors an idea on what can be done in order to make Slackware
> and Slackware based systems more popular and prevalent.
>
> I guess that it would be a legitimate thing to do, only temporarily.
>  * Setting slapt-get to send distro name (by User-Agent).
>  * Prompting on first run whether to send or not send distro name.
>  * An option in GSlapt to easily toggle an option to send distro name.

It would not be to difficult if someone wanted to do it.  The user-agent is
already set

[14/Aug/2013:19:45:11 -0400] "HEAD /slackpacks/14.0/PACKAGES.TXT.gz
HTTP/1.1" 200 - "-" "slapt-get"

It is problematic from an upstream perspective since I would have to
maintain a list of distributions.

The const string is set in src/curl.c (see grep -i agent src/curl.c).

take care,
jason
--
Jason Woodward