[Slapt-get-user] slackware dist-upgrade

Ivan Bukovcan slapt-get-user@software.jaos.org
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:50:04 +0100 (CET)

Hi there,

sorry if this was discussed here/elsewhere before, but help would be very much
appreciated.

First of all, I use slapt-get, and I like it! :)

I would like to dist-upgrade my slack 9.0 to slackware-current using slapt-get.

I've read FAQ #9 and UPGRADE.TXT too - and I understand it all, only problem for me
is to switch to init 1 because I am administering remote server and I have no access
to console.

My question is: is telinit 1 really neccessary and if is - is there any possibility
how to switch to init 1, make all tasks that should be made in this mode and then
switch back (if all went fine) to multiuser and finish it without actually sitting
physically by console? I mean, some sort of shell script with list of commands.

Or should I shut down all services (except sshd daemon) in multiuser and then
dist-upgrade? Would this be safe enough approach?

Many thanks for your suggestions

Ivan