[Slapt-get-user] ChangeLog.txt + update-notifier Error

J Kvalvaag slapt-get-user@software.jaos.org
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:04:58 +0200 (CEST)

> First off i'd like to thank Jason for making a nice little update to
> slapt-get that gets rid of the error when tracking current.  However, Joran,
> it seems that your script has a small bug in it because everytime your
> program runs at night I get the following email:
>
> ----------------------------
> Subject: ALERT: Update-notifier is having trouble at maximus.atozcomp.com
> To: siegex@atozcomp.com
>
> Failed to download
> http://software.jaos.org/slackpacks/10.0//patches/ChangeLog.txt
>
> The output from the command was:
> ----------------------------
>
> If you manually check the link in the email you'll notice that in fact it
> does not exist.  Whether or not it *should* be there I dunno, maybe Jason
> can shed some light on that and propose a fix.  Im also curious why just the
> email states "The output from the command was:" but then offers nothing
> after that.
>
> And lastly, when I run your script manually I always get this warning as
> well:
> ------------------------------------
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
> /etc/cron.daily/update-notifier line 165.
> ------------------------------------

Yes, faulty error check. The script tries to read SOURCE/patches/ChangeLog.txt
to bring you an exerpt from the changelog regarding updated packages. This
file does not exist on software.jaos.org.
I also discovered that I hadn't checked the actual exit code of slapt-get on
error, I assumed nonzero. The script now reads STDERR of slapt-get instead, to
determine success or not.

Updated script available at:
http://www.nerdworks.org/download/scripts/update-notifier/

Happy Slackin'