[Slapt-get-user] mirroring with slapt

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Fri Sep 2 12:21:36 EDT 2005

Hi Lukasz,

> First of all I'd like to say that slapt-get is the thing that I've missed
> (therefore I haven't realised) in my Slackware. Slapt-get rulez!!! ;-)

I'm always glad to hear from those who find slapt-get useful.  Thanks!

> Next thing is some bad news. I can see a missing feature, or maybe
> design flaw, IMHO. The /var/slapt-get/ directory should be populated
> in a manner that the upgraded machine could act as an ftp mirror for
> other machines on the local network. Actually the packages are layed
> out properly but there are no PACKAGES.txt files to tell which packages
> are available via LAN.

The packages_data file is close to the PACKAGES.TXT file.  However, you need a CHECKSUMS.md5
sum as well.  The method to create those files is listed in the slapt-get FAQ
(http://software.jaos.org/BUILD/slapt-get/FAQ.html#slgFAQ17) "How do I create my own package
source?"

> To answer probable questions about NFS. No I'd rather not use it ;)

You can use ftp, http, file:///, etc.  :-)

take care,
jason

--
Jason Woodward