[Slapt-get-user] Slapt-get produces duplicate output when searching packages

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Sat Apr 1 13:10:52 EST 2006

Hiram Abiff wrote:

> I use Slack 10.2 and slapt-get 0.9.11b which I installed recently.
> I had 0.9.11 and I thought if I installed a newer version my problems
> would go away.
>
> The problem is when I use "slapt-get --search package" the output of
> slapt-get
> doubles some package names like this:
>
> "slapt-get --search alsa" produces -->
>
> kamix-0.6.5-i486-2kjz [inst=no]: kamix - A full-featured ALSA mixer
> application for KDE

The linuxpackages.net repository isn't really meant to be complete
distribution replacement. I'd think twice about adding it as a SOURCE in
slaptgetrc. And then I wouldn't do it. :)

> This is a pain in the ass since I have to dig through a lot of stuff to
> find what I need. is this a bug?

No, it's just showing you all of the matching packages in all of the
repositories. This way, you have the option of installing a specific
version of a package (even in the standard distribution, some packages
are mistakenly identified as updates, especially if there are testing
versions in extra). To make things a bit easier, do this:

  slapt-get --search alsa | sort

The downside to this approach is that it's not as easy to identify the
SOURCE of a package, which is how they are normally grouped.

If you find the output too verbose, use grep:

  slapt-get --search alsa | sort | grep alsa