[Slapt-get-user] slapt-get FIND packages but doesn't INSTALL them!

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Mon Jul 3 17:33:56 EDT 2006

Michele Carotta wrote:
> Jorey Bump ha scritto:
>>> EXCLUDE=^kernel-.*,^alsa-.*,^glibc.*,.*-[0-9]dl$,^devs$,^udev$,aaa_elflibs,x86_64
>>> SOURCE=ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.0/
>>> SOURCE=http://software.jaos.org/slackpacks/9.0/
>>>
>> Neither of these sources contain those packages.
>>

> well, where can I find a huge source list for slack 9.0?
>
> I found "pdftk" there:
> http://www.nymphomatic.org/mirror/linuxpackages/Slackware-10.2-i386/Console/pdftk/
>
> but it's for Slack10.2!
>
> Does slapt-get work with local packages?
> (es: slapt-get --install example.tgz)
> I tried but.. loose.
>
> Have I to upgrade to another version of Slackware?
> maibe using slapt-get.. my installation is quite minimal (no X
> installed, less than 250 packages)

I typically stick to official Slackware mirrors when using slapt-get,
and install additional software a variety of ways. I might get a package
from linuxpackages.net (or other third party source), I might compile an
application from source but use checkinstall (from extra/) to install it
as a package, or I might just compile and manage it from source.

I don't recommend using slapt-get to track third party package
repositories, unless you absolutely trust them not to mess up your
system (I don't add any, myself). If you master the art of packaging,
you can set up your own repository to store your packages.

You should consider upgrading to Slackware 11.0 when it is released. I'd
just do a clean install. There have been a lot of changes since 9.0.