[Slapt-get-user] linuxpackages.net tip

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Jun 11 21:11:07 EDT 2010

If upgrading from linuxpackages.net 3rd party packages, it will help to
put ldconfigure in root's .bash_logout file.  Apparently apt-get runs
ldconfigure just before it exits over in Debian.  I spent some time using
apt-get in Debian and never ran into a situation in which ldconfigure
tried updating during a reboot once apt-get had been run.  I did earlier
today and ended up having to reinstall the system.  I have an interest in
some of the packages on linuxpackages.net and think rather than doing any
upgrades from that site in the future I'll go for the specific packages
when the update lists will even download.  As of now, several of the
different version-based lists will not download at all from
linuxpackages.net.  9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.0 11.0, and 12.0 all fail to download
because of different errors.  The 12.0 I wrote about earlier that had an
nmap upgrade package in it failed to download because of that nmap package
and crashed slapt-get right after failing to download.  When I did echo $?
I got back error 1.  Other errors have ranged from 44 to 46 depending on
the particular failing section.  My work around in this case is to comment
the version lines out that don't yet work and move on.  I would have put
that error information in my last message but couldn't remember about the
$? thing for the bash shell to get the errors to print out and had to look
that up in the bash documentation. With slapt-get use on linuxpackages.net
and mirrors I recommand adding nmap*,udev*,nethack* to your exclusion
lines in slapt-getrc and that should get you past some of the trouble with
that site.  Nethack isn't particularly troublesome other than not working,
udev breaks my system on reboot, and nmap crashes when it tries
downloading from 12.0 area. I've found gnomeslackbuild distribution to
have no problems to date.