[Slapt-get-devel] maybe a slapt-get's bug

Stefano Stabellini stefano at stabellini.net
Thu Sep 22 10:07:51 EDT 2005

Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> Jason Woodward wrote:
>

>>Good work.  If you'd like to add an entry to the slapt-get FAQ concerning this I'd be happy to
>>accept it.
>

> Thank you very much again. I like very much the idea of a new entry in
> the FAQ, but first I want to be certain that the repository is working
> correctly, so let pass another day or two of testing and then I'll be
> glad to send you the entry.

After other tests and many downloads in my webserver's log, I can say
that my repository is working correctly.
However I experienced a little problem with slapt-get when I was
dist-upgrading from cdroms, I think I may have found a bug.
I was using a local repository with dependency support (as described
before), with the Slackware cdroms as mirrors:

PACKAGE NAME:  a2ps-4.13b-i386-2.tgz
PACKAGE MIRROR: file:///mnt/cdrom/
PACKAGE LOCATION:  ./slackware/ap
PACKAGE SIZE (compressed):  859 K
PACKAGE SIZE (uncompressed):  3140 K
PACKAGE REQUIRED:  glibc >= 2.3.5-i486-5,  perl >= 5.8.7-i486-1,  python
>= 2.4.1-i486-1
PACKAGE CONFLICTS:
PACKAGE SUGGESTS:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
a2ps: a2ps (any to PostScript filter)
a2ps:
a2ps: GNU a2ps is an Any to PostScript filter.  Of course it processes
a2ps: plain text files, but also pretty prints quite a few popular
a2ps: programming languages.  Also contained in this package is psutils, a
a2ps: collection of programs for manipulating PostScript files.
a2ps:
a2ps: a2ps is used by Apsfilter, so be sure to install this package if you
a2ps: plan to do any printing.
a2ps:
a2ps:

I executed "slapt-get --update" with no problems, then I ran "slapt-get
--dist-upgrade". Still in the "downloading stage", slapt-get failed
several times to download packages:

Downloading file:///mnt/cdrom/ bind 9.3.1-i486-1 [1MB]...Failed to
download: Couldn't open file /?öA¬dEüé51û0AY°-á
/mnt/cdrom/./slackware/n/bind-9.3.1-i486-1.tgz

and it died.
I simply executed "slapt-get --dist-upgrade" one more time and slapt-get
downloaded that package correctly, then it failed again with the next,
and so on.
I finished downloading all the packages this way:

while :
do
	slapt-get --download-only --dist-upgrade
done

then I ran slapt-get --dist-upgrade the last time and the "upgrading
stage" went well.
I have to say that the dependency checking was fine.

Best regards,

Stefano Stabellini