[Slapt-get-devel] slapt-src suggestions

George Vlahavas vlahavas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 17:28:24 EST 2010

Hi Jason,

I have tried using slapt-src with multiple repositories that include
different versions of the same package. What I found out is that
slapt-src would always use the first of the repositories listed in
slapt-srcrc. I think that's perfectly fine and it works in a
consistent way, but it would be nice if it was documented somewhere.
That is if you don't plan to include support for repo priorities ala
slapt-get in the future of course.

That leads to a small problem though. Someone is only able to use
slapt-src to install the version that is included in the 1st repo
only. If someone wants to install the version that is in any of the
following repositories, slapt-src won't work. Is it possible to make
slapt-src version aware and be able to specify the package version, if
you want a specific one? Similar to how slapt-get works with
specifying full package names, specifying the package version like
"slapt-src -i foo-0.1" would install version 0.1, even if an
older/newer version is in any of the previews repositories.

Also, would it be possible to add a check if a package with the same
name is already installed and throw a confirmation message? Sometimes
you need to be reminded that you have it installed already and that
maybe you needn't spend time downloading/building it again.

And one last thing: could it be possible to add a --simulate option,
that would only show the "The following packages will be
installed:..." message and quit?

Best regards,

George