[Slapt-get-devel] bug(?) with dependencies when removing glib

George Vlahavas vlahavas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:22:31 EDT 2011

Hi Jason,

while trying to remove the glib package from my system, I think it tries to
take with it packages that don't really depend on glib. I think slapt-get
somehow confuses it for dbus-glib instead. There might be something wrong
with the dependency tree in the repositories, but I really doubt that. I'll
be more specific...

I have these in my slapt-getrc:
--------------------------------------------------------------->8
SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/slackware-13.37/:OFFICIAL
SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/slackware-13.37/extra/:OFFICIAL
SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/13.37/:PREFERRED
--------------------------------------------------------------->8
replace x86_64 with i486 if you want, same thing happens anyway.

In this system, I don't have glib or gtk+ installed and I don't believe
anything that I have installed depends on them anyway. I install xmms with:
# slapt-get -i xmms
and it installs glib, gtk+ and esound in my system as it should, because
they are dependencies of xmms.

Now if I try to remove glib using slapt-get, I get this:
--------------------------------------------------------------->8
# slapt-get --remove glib
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ConsoleKit GConf libsoup midori webkit libproxy notification-daemon
  dbus-python enchant gdm gtk+ xmms hal pcmanfm libnotify zenity polkit glib

0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 0 newly installed, 18 to remove, 0 not upgraded.
After unpacking 62.8MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [y/N]
as far as I can tell, none of those packages depend on glib. I noticed they
all have a direct or indirect dependency to dbus-glib though. Trying to
remove gtk+, only prompts for removal of itself and xmms, as it should.

Oh, I'm using slapt-get from git. Tell me if you need more info.

Best regards,

George