Re[2]: [Slapt-get-user] --config option

Jason Woodward slapt-get-user@software.jaos.org
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:40:55 -0400

--boundary-1091748608

Hi Sean,

> Just throwing out an idea here, but instead of making differnt config files for differnt
sources, why not just
> have one config file and mask off the sources you dont want.  For example lets say you have 3
differnt
> sources, slackware-10, slackware-current and the slapt-get source.  Now as it currently
stands if you
> issue 'slapt-get --update' it will grab the package list for all the sources.   However, if
you type something
> like this 'slapt-get --update --source 1,2' then slapt-get will only update the first two
sources.

I wasn't keen on the idea of overriding the default configuration to begin with.  But I
received a few requests and it turned out to be a clean and simple addition that doesn't
introduce unneeded complexity.  Thanks for the suggetions, but I think this solution isn't as
intuitive as the other for a few reasons:

1) it forces the user to pay attention to the order of sources... knowing which source comes
first, second, etc.
2) it introduces the concept of preferred sources... I'd rather treat all the sources the same,
code wise.
3) additional complexity at the source level

Overriding the location of the configuration from the default isn't uncommon in other UNIX
utilities... so this is in line with the spirit of the environment slapt-get is used in, and
consistancy is everything.  That is why I accepted the suggestion after receiving the request a
few times.

> Or you could also do something like 'slapt-get --update' which will grab all three sources
then 'slapt-get
> --upgrade -source 3' which in this case would only upgrade those packages that are not
current in the
> 3rd source.

At this point I would ask, if you aren't interested in the packages from a particular source,
don't include it to begin with.

take care,
jason

--boundary-1091748608--