[Slapt-get-user] Sources with different priority?

Eugene Crosser crosser at average.org
Sun Apr 24 17:03:44 EDT 2005

Hello gents, I am new here.

I wonder if this has been considered already, or maybe similar
functionality can be achieved by existing means...  Anyway, this is the
problem:

Suppose I have three sources: official Slackware mirror, third party
Gnome distribution site, and linuxpackages.net.  Gnome distribution has
several packages overlapping with official ones, and I want them
installed even if they have lower version than official.  On the other
hand, I have a few extra packages from linuxpackages.net, and I want
them up to date.  But linuxpackages.net has some packages overlapping
with official ones, and I want them never installed, even if they have
higher version than official.

As far as I understand, this cannot be done with current slapt-get.  If
that's true, I'd like to propose a possible modification: associate
"priority" with every "source".  When multiple packages with the same
name are found, they are first sorted by source priority, and then best
version is searched only within the sources of the same, highest
priority.  Provided the default priority (for backward compatibility) is
set to zero, slapt-getrc might look like this:

SOURCE=http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/slackware/slackware-current/
SOURCE=ftp://ftp.brownjava.org/pub/frg/frg-current/ PRIORITY=1
SOURCE=http://www2.linuxpackages.net/Slackware-10.1/ PRIORITY=-1

That would mean: always install packages from brownjava on top of
anything else, and packages from linuxpackages - only if they are not
found elsewhere.

What do you think?

Eugene