[Slapt-get-user] skip package option when error 404 received

Roy Keene slapt at rkeene.org
Wed May 11 17:32:23 EDT 2005

Nigel,

     I've had this problem with various package repositories keeping
entries in their PACKAGES.TXT file and then deleting the package.  I'm not
really sure why they do it, perhaps they're bored ?

Not to get off on a rant here, but ... Linuxpackages.net is notorious for
doing so.  I've contacted them about it and they didn't really seem to
care.  Their response was really that they weren't attempting to be a
source for automated packaging systems so they didn't think it was worth
the effort (actually, I believe they told me keeping the PACKAGES.TXT in
sync with the actual files was too man-power intensive.)  I mirrored them
for a while and provided proper PACKAGES.TXT on slackware.rm-f.net (now
slackware.oc9.org), but they got mad and threatened to charge me money for
downloading the packages off their FTP servers.. who knows.

Archive of the email:
     http://slackware.oc9.org/text/linuxpackages.txt

All the scripts I use to keep my archive up-to-date are also on
slackware.oc9.org, in bin:
     http://slackware.oc9.org/bin/

So, in conclusion.. people do weird things with their package
repositories.  I don't know why.  Some people are just crazy.