[Slapt-get-user] slapt-get --remove

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Sun Jul 2 11:10:49 EDT 2006

Per Börjesson wrote:

> I don't want to remove epiphany and yelp, so I tried
>
> kernel 25% slapt-get --remove mozilla-1.7.13-i486-1 --simulate
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   epiphany yelp mozilla
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> After unpacking 75MB disk space will be freed.
> epiphany-2.14.2.1-i486-1frg is to be removed
> yelp-2.14.2-i486-1frg is to be removed
> mozilla-1.7.13-i486-1 is to be removed
> Done
>
> The man page says "Remove specified package(s). Packages can be
> package names or package  names  with version (example:
> pkg-1.0-i386-1)." From this description I had expected slapt-get
> to ONLY remove mozilla-1.7.13-i486-1 in my 2nd example.
>
> Is this really the way it should work?

slapt-get adds the dependency checking that isn't present in Slackware's
package tools, in addition to being a handy frontend to remote repositories.

To remove a specific package without checking dependencies, use
Slackware's removepkg:

  removepkg mozilla

But keep in mind that epiphany and yelp depend on mozilla, so you will
break them, anyway. Why would you want to remove a dependency for
programs you want to keep?

I haven't checked, but it's also possible that slapt-get will attempt to
reinstall a removed dependency the next time you upgrade, unless you add
it to your EXCLUDE list.