[Slapt-get-user] slapt-get --remove

Per Börjesson sky at hi.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 11:59:48 EDT 2006

Jorey Bump wrote:
> Per Börjesson wrote:
>
>> I don't want to remove epiphany and yelp, so I tried
>>
>> kernel 25% slapt-get --remove mozilla-1.7.13-i486-1 --simulate
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>   epiphany yelp mozilla
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> After unpacking 75MB disk space will be freed.
>> epiphany-2.14.2.1-i486-1frg is to be removed
>> yelp-2.14.2-i486-1frg is to be removed
>> mozilla-1.7.13-i486-1 is to be removed
>> Done
>>
>> The man page says "Remove specified package(s). Packages can be
>> package names or package  names  with version (example:
>> pkg-1.0-i386-1)." From this description I had expected slapt-get
>> to ONLY remove mozilla-1.7.13-i486-1 in my 2nd example.
>>
>> Is this really the way it should work?
>
> slapt-get adds the dependency checking that isn't present in Slackware's
> package tools, in addition to being a handy frontend to remote repositories.
>
> To remove a specific package without checking dependencies, use
> Slackware's removepkg:
>
>   removepkg mozilla

I know I can do this, but I also want my WORKINGDIR to stay updated automatically.

> But keep in mind that epiphany and yelp depend on mozilla, so you will
> break them, anyway. Why would you want to remove a dependency for
> programs you want to keep?

I didn't know this, but I agree that dependencies make sense. However I already
have SeaMonkey so I don't want any mozilla package on my system.

In fact, I might not even want SeaMonkey since I use Firefox/Thunderbird, but
why do epiphany and yelp have to depend on Mozilla? Couldn't they just as well
depend on Firefox instead?

How would I go about fixing these dependencies?

> I haven't checked, but it's also possible that slapt-get will attempt to
> reinstall a removed dependency the next time you upgrade, unless you add
> it to your EXCLUDE list.

Regards
Per