[Slapt-get-user] slapt-get --remove

Per Börjesson sky at hi.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 13:34:26 EDT 2006

Jorey Bump wrote:
> Per Börjesson wrote:
>> Jorey Bump wrote:
>>
>>> But keep in mind that epiphany and yelp depend on mozilla, so you will
>>> break them, anyway. Why would you want to remove a dependency for
>>> programs you want to keep?
>> I didn't know this, but I agree that dependencies make sense. However I already
>> have SeaMonkey so I don't want any mozilla package on my system.
>>
>> In fact, I might not even want SeaMonkey since I use Firefox/Thunderbird, but
>> why do epiphany and yelp have to depend on Mozilla? Couldn't they just as well
>> depend on Firefox instead?
>>
>> How would I go about fixing these dependencies?
>
> One of the things I love about Slackware is that it installs the
> applications as the developer intended (or very close). Other distros
> break up packages into tiny pieces and only install the parts you need
> to support dependencies, so you'll get packages like foo-common,
> foo-lib, foo-dev, etc. While this helps to keep a system lean, it's
> terrible for development, and compounds dependency hell. It also makes
> it more difficult to get help from the original developers, who have no
> control over what the distros do to their application.
>
> The Slackware epiphany and yelp packages require Mozilla, and Slackware
> installs one package for it (not mozilla-dev, mozilla-lib, etc.). See if
> those applications can be recompiled to use Firefox or Seamonkey
> libraries, instead. You'll have to remove the Slackware packages and
> maintain your own (and prevent slapt-get from updating them). But
> Mozilla isn't hurting anything by being on your system, so you can just
> leave it, unless you have a compelling reason to remove it.

OK, if I understand you correctly, it boils down to having a larger set of
"standard" packages whether I need them or not. If I want to keep a subset
then I have to do a lot of manual work.

It's just that I thought that Patrick had removed Mozilla from current and
I thought he intended to have SeaMonkey instead in future Slackware.

I suppose one way of looking at it is to say that the frgnome team need to
update their system to match the new Slackware structure.

Regards
Per