[Slapt-get-user] slapt-get-0.9.11f on slack10.2

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Mon Nov 13 19:59:20 EST 2006

Hi Per,

> I wanted to see for myself, so I made some experiments. I cleaned up and recreated CHECKSUMS.md5
> and PACKAGES.TXT using the script from FAQ17. They look healthy; all checksums are in
CHECKSUMS.md5
> with proper relative paths, and PACKAGES.TXT looks very much like package_data except for the
> checksum.
>
> When I run "slapt-get --update" It works in one of two ways:
>
>    * from any of my desktops updated to 11.0 package_data contains the checksums for each
package description

>    * from my laptop mostly at 10.2 package_data contains NO checksum for any package description
>
> I don't get any error message on my laptop, and it doesn't matter if I include a SOURCE for
> //ftp.slackware.no/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-11.0 or not.
>
> Is it possible that slapt-get-0.9.11f requires newer versions of some packages?

Unlikely.  If you are using the same version of slapt-get on both your laptop and your
desktops, the only thing that pops into my head is a possible libcurl file:/// problem (since
10.2 uses the ancient 7.12.2 and 11 uses 7.15.5).  The following from the libcurl changelog
(http://curl.haxx.se/changes.html) seems to indicate this could be the culprit:

Fixed in 7.15.1 - December 7 2005... Bugfixes:
    * URL buffer overflow problem
    * using file:// on non-existing files are properly handled

It is hard to know if the bug was introduced after the 7.12.2 release or not.  We can find out
definitively if you try upgrading libcurl to see if the problem goes away.

> Please let me know if you still need the files.

Probably not necessary at this point.

HTH,
jason

--