[Slapt-get-user] Could we have a DOWNLOAD-ONLY variable in slapt-getrc?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Fri Jan 23 19:20:19 EST 2009

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson wrote, at 01/23/2009 06:42 PM:
> EXCLUDE won't DOWNLOAD_ONLY. EXCLUDE forbids everything listed on that
> line from being installed. If there were a DOWNLOAD_ONLY option,
> packages listed there could be handled (downloaded) with all of the
> other packages that would normally be installed. EXCEPT those
> DOWNLOAD_ONLY packages would only be downloaded, not installed.
>
> That means if there is a kernel upgrade available, all of the kernel
> packages would automatically be downloaded, leaving them for the user to
> install them manually. That's the difference. The same would be true for
> glibc, alsa* and many of the others that are needed by the system
> (currently listed as EXCLUDE), but require special user attention before
> and or after installation.
>
> The EXCLUDE option should be left for packages that you NEVER want
> installed under any circumstances.

That's incorrect. EXCLUDE can be overridden with the --install option,
when you're ready to deal with the package upgrade. I use this with php,
so I can EXCLUDE it from general upgrades, and explicitly install it
when I'm ready to compile related dependencies. I also use it for things
like glibc-zoneinfo, which is EXCLUDEd by default.