[Slapt-get-devel] slapt-get to send distro name (i.e. User-Agent)

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Wed Aug 14 04:21:02 EDT 2013

Hello,

I have a proposal which most likely be rejected by everyone.

I was wondering whether it would be worthy to add some sort of
User-Agent into GSlapt in order to let to repository administrators to
recognize the distros which are using their repositories, and by that
to gather statistics which might bring Slackware derivative developers
and distributors an idea on what can be done in order to make Slackware
and Slackware based systems more popular and prevalent.

I guess that it would be a legitimate thing to do, only temporarily.
 * Setting slapt-get to send distro name (by User-Agent).
 * Prompting on first run whether to send or not send distro name.
 * An option in GSlapt to easily toggle an option to send distro name.

It seems that since Salix OS has came into being, many Puppy Linux
users have adopted it as one of their prominent extra repositories.

Here, for example, I can see packages signed by Mr. George Vlahavas in
the second screenshot of a distro called Lxpup (Puppy derivative with
LXDE). http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmatelxde/ I did not even
tried to look up for Salix OS, it was merely a coincidence.

Please do post your opinions on this matter.

--
Defending the constitution is expensive!
Help Lavabit.com by donating to the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund

support at lavabit.com