[Slapt-get-devel] A few ideas on source package handling.

Luke Yelavich luke at audioslack.com
Tue Nov 11 16:49:43 EST 2003

At 01:13 AM 12/11/2003, Dan Barber wrote:

>It seems to me there is a grey area here when dealing with source
>packages, in that slapt-get right now is just a tool for installing
>already built packages.

Agreed.

>Perhaps it would be useful to have the author of checkinstall in on this
>discussion.  His tool already builds slackware packages, and he may have
>some good input into the best way to make the source packages, as well.

I have never used chkinstall, and like Pat, prefer to build the packages by
hand or with scripts to do it all for me.

>In any case, if there is some automated functionality for 'building' the
>source package, checkinstall might be the better place for it.

I sent Jason a sample package of what I think should happen. If you would
like, I would be happy to send it to you to have a look at.

>And of course, jim from linuxpackages will sure have some input.  Maybe we
>need to create a 'working group' with it's own email list for coming up
>with the best way to do source packages.

Well not only that, but all of us who are in charge of a package system,
and/or repositories need to get together and work out a sollution. This
would include Jim, Pat, Jason, and myself for starters IMO.

>Sorry for the ramble...

I don't think it is. I like what you have put forward, some of which I
hadn't really considered yet.

If we can work this out shortly, I can use it for distributing source for
AudioSlack. Otherwise, I might just have to work something out for the time
being, but I don't want to have to change. I will be changing a lot with
the next major update as it is :)

Regards
Luke
--
Luke Yelavich
AudioSlack Founder and head package maintainer
luke at audioslack.com