[Slapt-get-devel] Glibc version problem with slapt-get 0.9.9b

Michel Hermier michel.hermier at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 24 13:54:07 EDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 01:38, you wrote:

> > I just tried to upgrade to slapt-get 0.9.9b for the slackware-current and it seems that the
> binary is compiled with a *to hight* version of glibc.
> > After upgrading slapt-get fails to load with the following error:
> > slapt-get: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by slapt-get)
> >
> > Please rebuild with a lower version of the glibc. At least with the lastest version enable in
> slackware-current (glibc-2.3.3).
>
> Hmm... the installed glibc package is glibc-2.3.3-i486-1... but the GLIBC_2.3.4 symbol is being
> inserted.
>
> If you download the 2.3.3 package:
> http://www.slackware.at/data/slackware-current/slackware/a/glibc-solibs-2.3.3-i486-1.tgz
>
> Unpack it and run strings on the libc library:
>
> # strings lib/incoming/libc-2.3.3.so |grep 'GLIBC_2\.3\.4'
> GLIBC_2.3.4
> regexec@@GLIBC_2.3.4
> GLIBC_2.3.4
> vm86@@GLIBC_2.3.4
> sched_getaffinity@@GLIBC_2.3.4
> sched_setaffinity@@GLIBC_2.3.4
>
> This is odd.  I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.
>
> If you are not completely current with -current, you might be better off running the 10.0
> version of slapt-get.  This is some breakage that comes along with using -current when Pat
> updates something critical like glibc.

Sorry to have annoyed. I'm on 56k and I don't had time/bw to get -current glibc. So I found the bug as this, and was leading to a version numbering error.
Anyway this is very odd that the GLIBC_2.3.4 already defined in glibc-2.3.3 ... I wonder if it could it be a package error?
Maybe someone, should ask the slackware master? /* I don't know how to reach him */
Anyway thanks for investigations.

Cheers,
 Michel