[Slapt-get-devel] (no subject)

Chris Lewis burn03 at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 25 01:49:57 EDT 2004

Hello all.

I dont know if anyone else has thought of this or thinks it may be
useful, but its something that in some cases would be quite useful. The
dependency file allows logic for dealing with required packages'
versions. However there are cases where a dependency may be satisfied in
either a completely different package, or a package whose name has
changed (ex, xf86 pkgs now xorg).
I ran into this while packaging the jedit editor, a java application.
Slackware has provided a jre in the /extra dir since at least 9.0. As
far as I know (never used it) it was just the jre, not the sdk,
compiler, etc. Starting with slack 9.1 the sdk was made a standard
package in the d series, package name j2sdk. As I do a good bit of java
development, and b/c I use several java apps (jedit, limewire, azaerus)
I wanted the latest 1.5 beta - so i packaged it. However its name lends
itself to be called jdk, instead of j2sdk. So back to the issue; we have
my jedit package that simply needs a suitable java runtime which may be
provided by one of any of the three packages just mentioned (jre, j2sdk,
or jdk).
With this in mind I wonder if the logic in the slack-required file
should support an 'or' conditional. This way I could package jedit with
a fair amount of confidence that it will install on default slack 9
through 10, and possibly future releases. The slack-required file might
look like this:

jre-1_4_1-i586-1 || j2sdk-1_4_2_04-i586-1 || jdk-1_5_0_rc-i586-2