[Slapt-get-user] Sync'ing current

Sean Donner slapt-get-user@software.jaos.org
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 01:57:21 -0700

Hi, I just installed a 'clean' copy of 10.0 and now what I'd like to achieve
is what all the BSD guys with 'ports' do which is never have to do another
'clean install' again.  Basically whenever 11.0 comes out, ill effectively
already have everything it comes with.

>From what I've read, in order to do this with slackware I should follow the
current branch.  So I edited my /etc/slapt-getrc file, and added the
following single source:

SOURCE=ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware
-current/

Next I ran 'slapt-get --update' and I came across and error which is why I'm
writing this email.  Here is what I saw:

Retrieving Patch list
[ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-curre
nt/]... Failed to download: Couldn't cd to patches

Now I manually ftp'd into the source listed above and noted that the
'slackware-current' subdir doesn't have a 'patches' dir within it, hence the
error.  So I pose a few questions to you.

1) Is this error normal when using a 'slackware-current' source and can be
safely ignored?  In which case perhaps you can add some code to parse when a
'current' source is used and not try to 'cd' into patches/ or just suppress
the error.

2) If this error isn't normal, what am I doing wrong, or what should I be
doing to achieve what I listed in the first sentence of this email?

3) I also added a source to 'slackware-10.0' in addition to the
'slackware-current' source and when I did an --update/--upgrade.  I noticed
it installed a few packages from the 10.0 source.  Was this the right/good
thing to do? Should syncing to a 'slackware-10.0' source be just a one time
deal if I'm tracking 'slackware-current' or should I have both the 10.0 and
current sources be tracked at the same time all the time?

One last thing.  This is not related to the questions above but I was
curious if you are thinking on adding a filename search option to slapt-get,
much like slackpkg has.  Right now if I need to know what package contains a
certain file I run 'grep file_name /var/log/packages' but it would be nice
to incorporate that into slapt-get.  One thing my little command cant do is
search that filename in packages that I *don't* have installed, I'm not sure
if slaptpkg does this, or if its even possible without too much work but it
would be a great feature to have.

Thanks

-Sean