[Slapt-get-user] Sync'ing current

Jason Woodward slapt-get-user@software.jaos.org
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:19:50 -0400

--boundary-1090846793

Hi,

> Hi, I just installed a 'clean' copy of 10.0 and now what I'd like to achieve
> is what all the BSD guys with 'ports' do which is never have to do another
> 'clean install' again.  Basically whenever 11.0 comes out, ill effectively
> already have everything it comes with.

Yes, that's what I use it for, using the --dist-upgrade option.

> Retrieving Patch list
> [ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-curre
> nt/]... Failed to download: Couldn't cd to patches
>
> Now I manually ftp'd into the source listed above and noted that the
> 'slackware-current' subdir doesn't have a 'patches' dir within it, hence the
> error.  So I pose a few questions to you.
>
> 1) Is this error normal when using a 'slackware-current' source and can be
> safely ignored?  In which case perhaps you can add some code to parse when a
> 'current' source is used and not try to 'cd' into patches/ or just suppress
> the error.

Yes... it is a normal error for ftp sources on current and non-official slackware package
sources.  Another user pointed out the confusing nature of this warning, so it will be silently
ignored on the next release.

> 3) I also added a source to 'slackware-10.0' in addition to the
> 'slackware-current' source and when I did an --update/--upgrade.  I noticed
> it installed a few packages from the 10.0 source.  Was this the right/good
> thing to do? Should syncing to a 'slackware-10.0' source be just a one time
> deal if I'm tracking 'slackware-current' or should I have both the 10.0 and
> current sources be tracked at the same time all the time?

At this point, current and 10.0 haven't diverged much so this is fine.  The 10.0 source isn't
needed, however, since current contains 10.0 and more.

> One last thing.  This is not related to the questions above but I was
> curious if you are thinking on adding a filename search option to slapt-get,
> much like slackpkg has.  Right now if I need to know what package contains a
> certain file I run 'grep file_name /var/log/packages' but it would be nice
> to incorporate that into slapt-get.  One thing my little command cant do is
> search that filename in packages that I *don't* have installed, I'm not sure
> if slaptpkg does this, or if its even possible without too much work but it
> would be a great feature to have.

Yeah, it is useful.  I have something like the following in my /etc/profile to provide just that:

function pkgowns {
  grep ${1/\//} /var/log/packages/*|cut -f1 -d:|sort|uniq
}

This provides that functionality much simpler than inserting it into slapt-get.

take care,
jason
--boundary-1090846793--