[Slapt-get-user] Maybe a little bug

Jason Woodward woodwardj at jaos.org
Sun Oct 16 19:09:32 EDT 2005

Hi Serban,

> and first many thanks to Jason for slapt-get, it made my life with Slack definetely easier :-)

Thanks =]  I'm glad to hear its useful to you.

> Now, this is what I observed just by chance and could not find a nice solution to it. There
> is a patched tcpip package for Slack 10.1. The name of the patched version is
> tcpip-0.17-i486-31b.tgz. It seems that slapt-get doesn't believe this is an upgrade, because
> the older package, tcpip-0.17-i486-31.tgz, was never touched after slapt-get --update;
> slapt-get --upgrade. On a system with slapt-get 0.9.10 I had to download the package
> manually and use upgradepkg, on another system I, where I have 0.9.10d, invoking slapt-get
> with --install --reinstall finally did the job. I think that the "b" at the end of the
> package name is not taken into consideration.

You didn't get the upgrade because the version and build are essentially the same.
slapt-get only looks at the integer value of the build portion, hence 31 and 31b are
equivalant.  This is one of those situations where reading the changelogs is important.

take care,
jason

--
Jason Woodward