[Slapt-get-user] Slapt-get produces duplicate output when searching packages

Hiram Abiff ljigotina at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 11:49:47 EDT 2006

On 4/1/06, Jorey Bump <list at joreybump.com> wrote:

> The linuxpackages.net repository isn't really meant to be complete
> distribution replacement. I'd think twice about adding it as a SOURCE in
> slaptgetrc. And then I wouldn't do it. :)

point taken.

> This is a pain in the ass since I have to dig through a lot of stuff to
> > find what I need. is this a bug?
>
> No, it's just showing you all of the matching packages in all of the
> repositories. This way, you have the option of installing a specific
> version of a package (even in the standard distribution, some packages
> are mistakenly identified as updates, especially if there are testing
> versions in extra). To make things a bit easier, do this:
>
>   slapt-get --search alsa | sort

this helps,  sort makes the output much clearer. thanx jorey.

The downside to this approach is that it's not as easy to identify the
> SOURCE of a package, which is how they are normally grouped.
>
> If you find the output too verbose, use grep:
>
>   slapt-get --search alsa | sort | grep alsa

I have used grep before in some cases, I just wanted to know why I get some
packages listed twice. I didn't know slapt-get lists the package multiple
times if it exists on several repositories.
thnx for the tips.